Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tribute to Snowy



Sadly I lost my D'Lynn's Snowy Lady (top photo). Snowy was a sweet gentle rabbit who taught me so much. She and her sister Misty will always hold a special place in my heart. They were my first rabbits purchased from Donna in Indiana. They were 50% english/50% german, and excellent import bloodlines on the german side. Snowy had a wonderfully matt free but yet very soft coat. Generally she sheared around 270 grams, not as much as a german, but since her coat was much finer and softer the volume was still the same. She passed away last night, still investigating with the vet to determine the cause of this mysterious illness that seems to only attach my does after shearing. I've lost 4 so far in the last 6 months, but Misty had the same symptoms about a year ago. If I knew the cause maybe I could do something to prevent this.

Anyway I still have Snowy's daughter Storm Warning's Zephyr who is a chestnut agouti from a fawn french father. Zephyr has her mother's disposition and coat. I've bred her to the choc agouti buck in my last post, I'll be saving some of these babies. I'm finding I prefer this type of coat for my own spinning.

No comments: