Monday, August 10, 2009

Busy Weekend

Wow what a hectic weekend, time to go back to the real job and rest! Saturday I woke up at 2 am to finish the knitting on the sock class project so I'd be ready to turn the heel in class. Did manage to grab a couple of more hours of sleep before I had to get up and do chores.
After the class I sheared and sheared, temps close to 90 with high humidity caught me off guard. This cool weather we've been having lulled me into a sense of security with rabbit coats. I think when the temps started to rise I was more stressed than they were though. But it was time to get them sheared because in 90 days I can harvest. I like to try and time my winter shearings to November and February. November because it is not quite too cold in early November and February because we generally get a warm up period in there for a couple of weeks. That also allows me to time the last shearing in May before it gets too hot.
Sunday brought more shearing and then we had to go and load hay. I've gotten all but two of the bucks sheared to the skin again, toe nails done, and ivomeced all except the doe who has a litter and another doe who is possibly bred, she also kept some wool on belly and chest to pull. If she doesn't kindle in two weeks then she'll get sheared as well.
Next weekend I need to start work on the horse stalls, the flood really did a number on those.

No comments: