Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Projects and New Beginnings







Well finally the weather man has good news, although it is snowing again it is not going to be the storm predicted and will be off and on snow showers rather than the 4-6 inches predicted. The weekend was spent is home projects. On Saturday the wind was howling and 30 + below wind chills were predicted. I knew I couldn't keep the bunny barn warm enough so two expectant moms came inside. This resulted in the dogs getting kicked out of the basement and the bunnies moving in.
Well, moved them in just in time, on Sunday Zephyr delivered. A nice sized litter, she had eight, but the runt didn't make it, so there are seven left, looks to be mostly a colored litter with the possibility of a couple of whites, but definitely some fawns and I think one choc agouti. Should know more of the colors in a few days. If this litter wasn't in the house they would not have survived. Poor Zephyr is a first time mom and for the last two weeks went off her food and had trouble moving her bowels. I used all the tricks I know, feeding her by hand lots of greens and giving her small amounts of oil and sugar water. Her belly was huge with kicking babies and being a small sized doe I guess the growing babies took up all the room. She scattered them on the wire, but I gathered them up and put them in the nest box with the wool I had clipped from her. After she had rested, she did feed them and now seems very attentive. Best news is she seems to be eating heartily again, she has some catching up to do. Here is a pic of the babies, I'll take one every few days so you can watch how they progress.
I also spent the weekend on the tri loom, a yarn of shetland and alpaca that I spun in December. I think I weave two triangles and put them together for a nice sized blanket, depends of if I have enough of the yarn. On the spinner is a beautiful kid mohair in a faded red color. I plan to also spin a single of red satin angora for plying, pics to come later of that. Bye for now, off to the real job, sigh.

No comments: